If 265 generous people give $265 our Gawura students can go on the Indigenous Homelands Immersion program in Cape York.
Give our students memories that will last a lifetime.
“We know that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children thrive in environments where they a have strong connection to culture and community.” Minister Ken Wyatt. August 2019
In July 2020, students will fly, most for the first time, to North Queensland to participate in the Indigenous Homelands Immersion program in Cape York with Red Earth. We will visit Wujal Wujal land and learn from the Elders and Traditional Owners about their culture and language.
Our seven days of learning will include a painting class, a language class and we will help with a community project, all while spending time with the local children and their families. Our seven days of cultural learning are planned out below.
On Country Tours takes place in a different Nation each year. Read here about our 2019 On Country Tour to Wandi Wandian (Yuin) Nation on the South Coast of NSW. In 2018 students travelled to Wiradjuri Nation.
On Country Tour, July 2020
– Fly Sydney to Cairns approx. 8:30am
– 4WD bus to Wujal Wujal
– Set up tents at Wujal Oval
– Dinner and first night talk
– Welcome to Country at Wujal Falls
– Visit art centre, police, women’s centre, church, justice group etc
– Painting workshop with local Elder
– Play with local kids at the PCYC after school
– 4WD bus to Bana homeland in the afternoon
– Welcome to Country
– Set up tents
– Trevathan Falls and Black Mountain in the morning
– Kuku Yalanji classes in the afternoon
– Chats and stories around the campfire
– Group splits up for activities, swap after lunch
– Community project (gardening or similar)
– Preparation of kup murri ground oven dinner
– Swim at Gap Creek
– Dinner and reflection
– Seasonal calendar and bush food workshop
– 4WD bus departs for Port Douglas
– Set up camp at PD
– Reflection on time in community
– Whole day snorkelling tour on the Great Barrier Reef
– Final reflection and debrief
– Pack up camp
– Bus to Cairns
– Early afternoon flight to Sydney